This exciting program teaches cooking simple, flavourful Middle Eastern staples. You will learn to cook and savour these dishes from an experienced and knowledgeable Jewish-Israeli home cook in a fun-filled learning environment.
Participants will cook and eat dishes suited for ordinary breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as some special events. The menu will be accompanied by stories that illustrate the many cultural links that people assign to food. Where possible ingredients will be sourced locally and recipes may vary depending on availability of produce.
The course will include recipes such as:
- Shakshuka – Middle Eastern tomato and egg dish.
- Hummus, spicy coriander condiment, and pita bread.
- Red omelette, blanched broccoli salad, and couscous salad
- Cauliflower schnitzel in tomato sauce (Egyptian dish)
- Potato fritters and zucchini fritters with Palestinian/Israeli vegetable salad.
- Red lentil soup (Egyptian-Palestinian recipe).
- Borekas – Personal cheese pies and coleslaw salad (fusion of Israeli and Thai styles).
- Basbussa (‘Only a Kiss’) – a festive semolina cake drenched in rose water syrup.
- Challah – the Friday night braided Jewish bread for the ritual of welcoming the Sabbath.