Literacy is listening, speaking, reading, writing, numeracy and critical thinking, interwoven with the knowledge of social and cultural practices. Literacy empowers people to contribute to and improve society.
Waiheke Adult Literacy Inc is committed to providing adult literacy and literacy-based life skills learning for all members of the Waiheke Island community, in a manner that is responsive to those members and that community.
Waiheke Adult Literacy aims to:
- provide free student-directed learning assistance to members of the Waiheke community
- operate in accordance with Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- organise training for new tutors and workshops for ongoing training
- support student-centred learning programmes
- increase public awareness of literacy needs on Waiheke Island and to seek funding to support literacy programmes.
If you are interested in supporting our work or finding out about becoming a tutor please let us know.
Waiheke Adult Literacy is affiliated to Literacy Aotearoa.